Goongerah Environment Centre
Goongerah Camp Ground, East GippslandVictoria
Join us in East Gippsland's forests over the Labour Day long weekend in March.
Learn from the dedicated and passionate ecologists and activists at GECO whose citizen science campaign is saving forests from logging. We'll be based in and around Goongerah, including surrounding high conservation value and old growth forests.
This camp will visit forests on the lands of the Bidwell, Gunnai-Kurnai and Monaro people. We acknowledge their ongoing custodianship of these forests and pay respect to their elders past and present.
The camp is free of charge. But donations to cover costs are most appreciated.
You'll gain skills to put into practice and get involved in the GECO citizen science campaign.
We will also conduct nocturnal spotlighting in forests that are under imminent threat of logging. If our surveys are successful, there's a chance we can protect these forests and stop them being logged.
You'll gain skills in wildlife spotlighting, using GPS, remote fauna camera use, forest and rainforest survey techniques, and you'll experience some of Victoria's most spectacular old growth forests, that are still under threat from logging.
We suggest you arrive on Saturday during the day to be ready to start the program on Saturday evening.
We will have the GECO kitchen tent set up with communal gas burners, cooking pots and pans, bowls, cups and cutlery etc.
You need to supply your own breakfast and lunch, and snacks during the day.
Dinner will be provided for Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights at a cost of $20 per person for three nights. Meals will be Vegan and Gluten free.
The kitchen will be available to use each morning for breakfast, lunch will be eaten in the bush on field trips.
Families and children are welcome.
What to bring
- Camping gear: tent/swag and tarp, head torch, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, water bottles/containers etc
- Warm clothing and wet weather gear
- Sturdy footwear for walking in the bush
- Gaiters or tough long pants for walking
- Food for the four days
- Fuel for your cars. Fill up in Orbost if coming from the south or Bombala if coming from the north. You need enough fuel to drive from the campground each day to field trip locations and still have enough left over to get out of Goongerah. If you have a jerry can bring it along.
- Money if you want to buy some GECO merchandise like survey manuals hoodies, t shirts, posters, stickers etc or make a donation
Contact: Tom Crook
0417 557 114