VictoriaRent: About $550/month (TBC) Bond: About $500 (Also TBC, sorry!)
Hello you! We have one room available in our big communal share home in Northcote!
We're proud to live in an extraordinary 7-person share home community. Our house has affectionately been nicknamed “The Manor” because although big (8 bedrooms!), it’s hardly a manor. Rather, it’s shambly, crumbly, full of character, and very well loved by successive generations of big dreaming “Manorites” who have made their nest here.
The Manor was formed about 6 years ago by a bunch of people who envisioned great potential in a less than legal boarding house in sad state of disrepair. Carpets were ripped up, walls painted, chickens brought, soils tended and planted. Lots of discussions were had about how to create a fun and functional community with heart and purpose. Over the years a range of physical aspects of the house have been DIY renovated and beautified. Also, many processes of community have been developed and redeveloped in the dynamic experience of living and working together. It’s an exciting and beautiful evolution to be part of.
*** Before you read on, some quick things to note: ***
- We're not looking for couples or pets, sorry.
- Please email us (address below) before FRIDAY 8th FEB
- We'll let you know by 9th Feb if we would like you to come and meet us for a chat and a cuppa.
- We have time to meet people on Sun 10th Feb (6-9pm) or Mon 11th Feb (7-9pm), so please keep these times free!
KEY FEATURES OF THE MANOR
- All food in the home is shared. There is a meal on the table most nights of the week that is cooked by whoever has the time and inspiration, and eaten gratefully by anyone who is around.
- The house is vegetarian, but many living here are not.
- We have a shared bank account for all our food, bills and other house purchases
- We shop ethically where possible.
- An abundant garden and outdoor chillspace for those lush summer days
- A guest bedroom / study / project space
- A garage / workshop with storage space
- We have regular house meetings to discuss any issues, plan occasional parties or gatherings, and avoid unnecessary conflict
- We regularly have film nights, pot lucks, parties and performances at The Manor
We get along really well together and there is very little history of conflict or tension in the house. We see this as a result of fostering a culture of open and thorough communication where there are always forums to air concerns or wishes and any forms of passive-aggressive conduct just wouldn’t fly. We all have rich independent lives outside the house making the world a better place through our work and enjoying the world in our play.
The members of the house are:
Samuel, an organiser in the refugee rights movement and part-time drag queen 'That's Amora' (party diva, wearer of mesh, learner of languages). Belinda, who packed up her life in Spain 12 months ago and moved to Melbourne - she is the Queen of the Tomatoes, a chef and a teacher. Rita, an holistic Wellbeing Counsellor, into deep ecology, a nature lover, dancer & explorer of life. Jon, a prolific dodgy builder, semi-retired architect and art lover who spends his time on creative projects, dancing, music and being an all-round possum, and Anna - a clown, theatre facilitator and performer, who is serious about stupidity.
We would like people with energy to contribute to this vibrant and unique situation so it can be sustained and continue to grow and flourish. If you are interested in living in an intentionally communal way, are LGBTIQ friendly, anti-racist and anti-sexist and this sounds like the kind of place you would like to call home, you will probably fit right in!
The room available is upstairs and medium-sized. The rent is very affordable. We also pay $80 into our shared bank account to cover all our food and bills each week. The room is available from 18 Feb onward.
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH
If you are interested or know someone who might be, please send an email to by FRIDAY 8th FEB, letting us know a bit about yourself and why you would like to join our house. Especially mention why becoming a part of a vibrant communal home is attractive to you. We will be doing interviews on Sunday 10th Feb (6-9pm) and Monday 11th Feb (7-9pm).
We acknowledge that The Manor is on the land of the Wurrundjeri people of the Kulin Nation and that their sovereignty was never ceded.